July 19, 2013

Food Waste - A Story of Excess



Given that we are very picky about what we eat, I felt that this was an important topic to cover. Since I started the #whole30, I have been planning my meals and what I am cooking almost religiously. In turn I have noticed a couple of things.

One, I'm inundated with leftovers. This means I am cooking too much food, and as the weeks have progressed this has gotten better. For example, as part of week 3 I didn't even go shopping. I crossed half the recipes off my week and simply consumed leftovers or what was still in the fridge / pantry.

In general because I have my shopping list made up in advance, which is planned on what I am cooking, I am purchasing less food as well. Overall this means less wasted food!

I urge everyone to be mindful of what you are using and what you are throwing away. Here are some tips:


  • Save everything! Even trim cuts of meat and the ends of carrots and celery can be stored in the freezer for use for broth making. Save your chicken carcasses and bones from all other animals. It's good for you and the environment!
  • Start a compost pile: If you don't want to make broth, all your organic waste can at least be used to make compost. This doesn't help with the problem of throwing it out, but it ensures that you can at least use it for a productive use after it has turned into healthy soil. This in turn will help you grow your own food and purchase less!
  • Use a meal plan and shopping list. There's nothing worse than coming home from the store and putting everything away, only to realize that there's still nothing you want to eat (or you don't have the right ingredients). Going back to the store wastes both time and gas, not to mention the food you are ignoring will still go bad. Instead of shopping randomly, make a meal plan for the week and follow it. Derive your shopping list from the recipes you choose. Know what is in your pantry and fridge so that you don't purchase too much of one ingredient (unless its very shelf stable).
  • PLAN FOR LEFTOVERS (THERE WILL BE LEFTOVERS). Most importantly, know how to properly store and then actually eat the leftovers, otherwise they go to waste. Either adjust your cooking so that you don't have leftovers or plan accordingly and have a "leftover day" each week so that the food is not wasted.
  • Some of the biggest issues with our food system is the mass production of food that we will never use. Instead of fueling the corporate farm, you can shop locally. Seek out local farmers markets and farmers and buy direct. This way you know what you are getting as far as quality, you have a choice of organic, etc. You are helping a local business, as well as ensuring that you put money into humane animal husbandry (if you choose to consume meat) and eco-friendly farming practices. 

I hope that these tips help you out!

No comments:

Post a Comment